I just had the wonderful opportunity to co-host an inspiring #satchatwc with the theme #CultureMatters with my good friend Jay Billy (@jaybilly2). It was evident throughout the chat that culture trumps everything else in a building. No matter what terrific structures you have in place, systems you have established, facilities, resources, etc. the school culture drives everything. Period. Our #LeadLAP (Lead Like a PIRATE) challenge for this week is for each of you to reflect on how you are adding to the culture of your organization. These are some of the questions that emerged this morning that I invite each of you to reflect on this week:
- Am I presuming positive intentions of our students, staff and families?
- Am I being solution-oriented instead of complaint-driven?
- Am I truly following our norms in our team meetings?
- Am I bringing my coworkers down by my body language, complaining or gossip?
- Am I taking time to think out engaging lessons for students that will minimize behaviors and actually get our students enjoying school? As an administrator, am I doing the same for staff?
- Am I pushing myself to take risks to add to the culture of growth mindset?
- What practices do I have set up to celebrate students, staff and families?
- How am I confronting behaviors that toxify the school culture?
- Is what I am projecting worth spreading to the whole school?
- What can I do the very first thing on Monday morning to make a positive difference in our school culture?
What is one thing you will intentionally do this week to make the culture better at your school? Also, this is a great topic to take to our students. How might you offer a similar challenge to them? Please share your ideas to the #LeadLAP hashtag so we can all learn and grow together. Have an amazing week! #CultureMatters
Resources on Culture:
If you have a favorite to add, please tweet to #LeadLAP or @BethHouf
Transcript of Today's Chat
BAM! Interview with Rosa Isiah and Ken Williams
Blogs by Rich Czyz on Culture
Cybraryman's Culture Page
Powerful Reminder from Matt Miller
Resources from ASCD
School Culture Rewired-->Book Spotlight
Transforming School Culture-->Book Spotlighthttp://newfrontier21.com/store/transforming-school-culture/