Sunday, December 6, 2015

Creating the Ripple


Last Monday morning I was fired up and ready to immerse myself into our first enthusiasm challenge. (If you missed it, check it out here: http://shelleyburgess.com/2015/11/29/leadlap-challenge-e-is-for-enthusiasm/) I couldn't wait to start taking pictures and capturing moments of awesomeness throughout our school. I got my raincoat on, grabbed an umbrella and headed out to greet our students from a long Thanksgiving break. Apparently, my enthusiasm got the best of me, because the next thing I knew, I had fallen from the top to the bottom of our concrete steps to our parking lot. FYI...Pirates cannot fly. As I laid there, trying to keep my cool in front of our arriving students, their parents and our staff, I made a huge realization....I can't do it all alone. As I clung to a colleague to get into the building, my only thoughts were about how I was going to get around the building and take care of others.  This same feeling of guilt continued all week as others took on my supervising roles and extra duties. Looking back now, I realize that to be a truly effective leader, I have to let others help support me. And you know what, when you take time to build the capacity and shared leadership in your staff, they will go above and beyond to do it. 

The leader also cannot be the only person telling the story of our schools. There are so many other rich perspectives from our students, families and staff that we want to honor and share. Our remaining two enthusiasm challenges for December will focus on inspiring others to share the story of your school. For this week, we challenge you to start with your staff. How can you (or have you) built a culture in your building to systematically and enthusiastically share the awesome happening in your classrooms each day? Start a school Instagram, Facebook, Twitter account or hashtag. Create a Twitter Challenge with your staff to tweet out the amazing happening throughout your building. Contact the local newspaper to come to a classroom that has something special happening this week. Or, honor the voice and choice of your staff to come up with ideas that they think would be best. There are so many different ways to share the awesome with your stakeholders, so find the way that works best for your school and share your reflections on the challenge all week to #LeadLAP. We've changed our chat format to an all week slowchat instead of once a week. Shelley and I can't wait to read about how you are empowering others to share the story of your school. 

Have a GREAT week!
Beth and Shelley

No comments:

Post a Comment