Saturday, July 4, 2015

Together, We Can!


I’m finally coming down from my #ISTE2015 high. What an amazing experience. I learned so much, met incredible people and was inspired beyond belief. This was so much more than a conference about technology...it was about people. People willing to do whatever it takes for kids. There was a common thread with the interactions that I had throughout the conference…Together, We Can! 

Together, we can share best practice to help make a difference in the lives of our students.

Together, we can connect and support each other as educators.

Together, we can reflect and inspire new ideas to support the varied needs of our students.

Together, we can relax, recharge and have fun. This is important and often forgotten in the busy lives of educators.

Together, we truly can change the world and inspire this thinking in our students.

This is what it is all about. When we talk global education, to me that means we are all working for the same team, the same school. The children of the world are ALL our students and positive change can only happen when we truly work together. 


So what will I do to make this happen? I’ll continue to connect with my amazing PLN to learn, share and collaborate. I will help others that may feel isolated develop a PLN of their own. I will lift up my colleagues and be a fountain and not a drain. I will push myself to take risks and continue to learn and grow daily. I will take time to relax and recharge so I can be my best self.

And most importantly to me, I will work to drown out the voices of the critics of our great profession by showcasing the AMAZING that happens every single day in our classrooms and learning communities. So many people truly have no idea what goes on in schools....together, we can change this by making it visible. I challenge anyone reading this to do the same. 

Together, we truly CAN make all of this a reality! Let's do this!



16 comments:

  1. Great post, Beth! You are such a strong advocate for all that is right in education. Keep burning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Beth, I am a new elementary principal in a K-8 building and am interested in developing a PLN. I have a twitter account and have started following people, but am not sure what the best way is to form a PLN. I would also like to get connected into some chats...any advice?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kim! So great to connect! Here is a link for a workshop I am doing on getting started with a PLN: https://www.smore.com/48a8j-getting-started-with-twitter
      Also, a great chat is actually happening tonight (7-6-15 from 8-9 CST) and you can follow along by typing in #tlap (Teach Like a PIRATE). Here is another post on the power of twitter chats:
      http://teamingup4tech.blogspot.com/2014/09/learning-and-connecting-through.html

      Please feel free to connect anytime at all! Thanks again for taking time to read the post!

      Delete
  3. Hi Beth, I am a new elementary principal in a K-8 building and am interested in developing a PLN. I have a twitter account and have started following people, but am not sure what the best way is to form a PLN. I would also like to get connected into some chats...any advice?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes!! Now I am all fired up to do these things! I am very glad to see you calling attention to the importance of connecting, making teaching & learning more visible, and the often forgotten task of relaxing, recharging, and having fun. You are such an inspiration to so many, and I can't wait to learn alongside you and grow as a leader by seeing how you navigate the coming school year with style. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jess-you have been such an amazing inspiration and resource! Thank you for your fire and drive to make education better each and every day!

      Delete
  5. TOGETHER!!! Such a simple word, with extraordinary power. The power of 1 is astronomical, but the power of a TEAM working together for the students can change the WORLD!!!!!!!

    I loved when you said, "be the fountain, not the drain." :)

    Honored that you thought of me while writing this post. You are a role model to me and an absolute amazing #EdLeader! Thank you for all you do. #Inspiring

    Kara :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Kara! So blessed to have you as part of my PLN!

      Delete
    2. Great post about first day of school ideas! Will definitely use this next week!

      Paul Walker
      Triton Jr-Sr HS
      Twitter: @echs86

      Delete
  6. I was so energized and excited by #NotAtISTE. Periscope made the experience. Seeing snippets, some brief some long, was enlightening. Funny about that: It's learning but long term it's about forgetting, too. I mean exposure to interesting stuff and ways of knowing inspires further inquiry. What will stick long-term are those things that I can apply. The TeacherCast interview with Jon Corippo covered video streaming on the cheap with Wire Cast; Only I use TouchCast --the interview got me wondering of how to use it to do some of the same things Wire Cast can. Longer term than that are the connections I made with others. PLN rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beth you are a rockstar, a leader in every sense of the word and I am so proud of you!

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much, Nili! You are such an inspiration!

      Delete
  8. I don't know if my last post made it, but thanks for the post. It has me energized to look into getting inspired and expanding my PLN.

    How long has ITSE been doing its tbing?

    ReplyDelete